Monday, October 8, 2012

Marginalization of Female Characters


The cast of Remember the Titans is male-dominated, but there are a few women scattered throughout.  Though these women are present, they are hardly main characters and even the most prominent of the female characters is only acceptable because of her role in the patriarchy.

 

Gerry Bertier’s mother:  I had to look up her up to even know her name, I’m not sure if it is mentioned even once in the movie.  Gerry’s mother probably has about 4 lines in the entire movie, all of which involve enforcing or obnoxiously disrupting practices of masculinity.

·         Gerry’s mother refuses to let Gerry go play basketball with Julius and tell’s Gerry that he must attend church with his mother.  In this scene, Gerry’s mother points out to Gerry how ashamed his father would be if he knew what Gerry is doing.  Thus, his mother is here to enforce the rules of patriarchy that Gerry’s father can no longer do now that he is dead

·         The scene directly after Gerry is in the car accident Julius approaches Gerry’s mother with tears in eyes.  Gerry’s mother looks at Julie stone-faced and says “You’re strong.  Those tears aren’t going to make my boy walk again.” What does this enforce?  Real men don’t cry and grieving the loss of a teammate is not worthwhile; it will not solve anything.  Julius must suppress his emotional reaction; otherwise he’d never be able to face Gerry.  In turn, these men must channel their sadness into anger, an appropriate male reponse, and use it to win.

 

Gerry Bertier’s girlfriend:  the only thing Gerry’s girlfriend serves to be in a cog in the machine for the male-bonding occurring throughout the movie.  Luckily, Gerry keeps his senses and doesn’t allow this superfluous influence on his life impact the male relationships he had with his teammates or his ability to succeed on the field.  Remember, women are a distractin.

 

Julius Campbell’s girlfriend:  She doesn’t have a name.  What is her role?  A prize for Julius’s success on the field.  Julius and his team make it to State?  Julius is rewarded with sex from his girl.  She is even referred to as “my girl.”  (“I gotta be with my girl tonight.”).  The suggestion here seems to be that Julius’s male obligations to the team can be sacrificed if he’s transferring himself into another male role:  the sexual being.  It is expected that a man would sacrifice time with his friends to “get some.” 

 

Sheryl Yoast: probably the most interesting of all the female depictions in the entire movie, Sherly Yoast the young female tomboy, child of Coach Yoast.  She is seemingly disruptive to the patriarchy (a girl who knows a lot of about football, whaaaa??), but at closer evaluation, she is marginalized just like the other female characters in the film. 

·         Throughout the film, male characters are constantly making remarks about Sheryl’s tomboy behaviors, especially from the Boone family. Coach Boone is extremely resistant to Sheryl’s behavior, constantly saying things like “don’t you want to accessorize?” or “why don’t you go play with dolls,” which is an extremely insulting

way to address a young girl who has a superior knowledge of sports. Along with this, Coach Boone’s daughter is incessantly making comments about how weird she is.  Arguably, Coach Boone’s daughter acts as a foil to Sheryl, once even refusing Sheryl’s offer to play basketball because she had just painted her nails.

 
·         There is also the question of why the film has this tomboy-like character.  Yoast is a single father, and so my suggestion would be that Sheryl is a tomboy so the movie is not distracted by Yoast’s status as a single father.  It also reminds me of my own experience as a sports fan growing up.
o   I like sports because my dad and brother like sports.  My father refused to bend to accommodate my status as a woman, so I had to alter my female status to better fit his male lifestyle. I too adopted tomboy characteristics as a way to relate to my father.  Because of this, I relate to sports, and sometimes other aspects of my life as a “typical man” would because I desired acceptance from my father as a young girl.  As I’ve gotten older, I’ve managed to rework my identity to include those aspects of being a “female” that I enjoy and appreciate; however, I still maintain many of my “male” characteristics from my youth.
o   I see a lot of me in the depiction of Sheryl in this movie.  Yoast cannot be expected to adapt his masculinity to accommodate the rearing of his child.  That was supposed to be his wife’s job. Thus Sheryl must enter the patriarchy as a way to relate to her father and be including in his world.
·         Despite Sheryl’s efforts; however, she is still marginalized.  A few scenes that come to mind:
o   Someone saying “why don’t you get that girl some pretty dolls or something?”
o   She is the one serving the boys water at camp
·         And of course the epiphany we are forced to face:  we find this girl funny.  Even though she acts exactly like zealous male fans, she is comedic in her reactions to football.  Why? Well, she’s a woman and women don’t watch sports like that.  In fact, they don’t know much about sports at all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment